August 28, 2013
In the previous post Landing page for CLM Reporting with RRDI or Insight, I recapped on the CLM reporting uses cases options:
- Check/Use the Out-of-the-box reports
- Author your own reports
Links on both OOTB reports and RRDI CLM applications dictionaries for multiple versions were provided and chosen concise presentation received positive feedback.
A feedback I recently heard about was that our customers could sometimes miss the information on how to best use these data dictionaries.
This is actually a NON gap since the CLM Information Center provides such information HERE.
I recommend you read this topic so that you get a clear understanding of how to use RRDI data dictionaries.
Don’t miss this useful information !
Acknowledgment: thanks to Amanda Brijpaul, from Rational User Technologies team, for pointing me this important resource.
June 27, 2013
Sometimes it can get difficult to narrow down all pieces of information you need to perform some specific administrative task on your CLM/RTC/RQM/RQM/DM environment.
As part of the Jumpstart team, I regularly provide guidance to customers in the CLM area covering RTC, RQM, Enterprise deployments, upgrades, customizations, OSLC and Reporting. As questions about CLM Administration and Reporting show up frequently, I use to collect and keep preciously links I can refer to later with customers. Until very recently, my personal “Top 3” included the following resources:
Until… I found out that Rational Support had provided very useful videos in the CLM 4.0.1 Education Assistant
This is my new “Top 4” I wish I had complete a little earlier.
Thanks to Rational support for providing these videos. Hope this blog will (modestly) provide the additional visibility this useful material deserves.
Note 1: while the title page of the Education assistant states it’s for “IBM Rational Quality Manager“, this content is more largely applicable (to RTC, RRC, etc.)
Note 2: updates for 4.0.1+ versions are not available at this time AFAIK.
May 6, 2013
As part of Jumpstart team, I found myself answering customer questions about the reporting capabilities in CLM. As a result of this, last year, I’ve consolidated and shared information/guidance on the subject through a MindMap (see blog post: “Get things clear about the CLM 2012 reporting capabilities“). Some of our customers provided me with great feedback (which is still welcome BTW !).
As an assiduous reader of Jazz.net forum, I see that questions like the following are common:
“I want to create a RTC/RRC/RTC/CLM report with this information plus this other information…. how should I proceed ?“.
Say 90% of the time, a pragmatical 1st answer advise users to check the existing/OOTB reports available in CLM. Then, say in half of the cases, directions for creating custom reports are provided. Just like if it was a pattern…
It’s important to note that pretty much ALL the information exists ALREADY (in the CLM InfoCenter, the Jazz.net/DevWorks articles and wikis, etc.). The kind of gap this blog post aims at filling is a landing page providing a useful answer to the pattern described above. It shall present key information for both:
with the following characteristics:
- Content shall indifferently cover release versions: CLM 2012, CLM 2011.
- Format may be not a (Mind)Map. As some users revealed to me they could be reluctant to this format. Not to change my mind on this… Just adopting people’s preferred communication channels. I’ve chosen a table format this time.
Let’s go for now…
1) List the Out-of-the-box reports
||[Wiki] OOTB Reports (also incl. BIRT/RRDG-based reports)
|Reports by domain
(*): see “Table 2” in the referenced page.
2) Author your own reports
||[Wiki] CLM Framework Manager Data Model Details
|Data warehouse metrics
| “How To”s
|[CLM 4.0 InfoCenter]
|[Jazz.net forum / Article]
|Dozens of useful videos in “RRDI Playlist” by Rational User Education. Covers installation aspects, new features, introductions, building reports, etc.
What if some complementary information is required ?
- For “hands-on”-oriented guidance, I’d advise to read and complete the Reporting Workshop.
- For a selection of key resources on a broader scope (e.g. reporting for CLM in general including document generation (RRDG, RPE), installation procedures, troubleshooting tips, etc.), have a read at this blog post (and MindMap) “Get things clear about the CLM 2012 reporting capabilities” (note: it’s updated on a regularly basis – last update as for today: May 1st, 2013).
Last updated: July 18th, 2013 (added links to Jazz.net “in progress” InfoCenter)
September 21, 2011
(Last update – for CLM 2012 – on May 1st 2013)
Customers regularly asks me the following questions regarding the reporting capabilities in CLM 2012/2011:
- “Shall we use Insight which has more capabilities than RRDI ?”
- “Better if we use RRDG or… RPE ?”
- “RRDG stands for… what exactly ?”
After discussing a few minutes the details, we generally… touch base and go back to more common questions :
- “What kind of reports your company would like to generate ?”
- “What’s the difference between all these products ?”
- “Do you know what’s is Development Intelligence ?”
- “Do you want me to explain you the basics around the reporting architecture in CLM 2012/2011?”
As a result of this, I’ve summarized the reporting capabilities in CLM 2012/2011 (with convenient links on sample templates, etc.). You just need to CLICK here (or on the following map image) (note: be patient, it could take up to 10s to load this page… all depending on your network)
After consulting it, I hope you could:
- Have a clear idea of where each product stands in the reporting area.
- Share with colleagues about reporting with more confidence.
- Speak about the “double bubble chart”.
- Find quickly the piece of information you were looking for
If helpful, feel free to Report that to me !